MCA is the abbreviation for Master of Computer Application. MCA is a graduate-level curriculum that teaches students about computer programming, application software, computer architecture, and operating systems, among other topics. The MCA Program length is two years.
Acceptance to the MCA program will be based on academic merit or an entrance exam. The minimum eligibility requirements for the MCA program are a Degree holder in computer application (BCA) or a related discipline with mathematics as a required subject in Class 12.
But still, many students question why an MCA course pursue after BCom. What is the MCA course duration after BCom? Or, can a BCom graduate do MCA? The finest MCA institutions in India choose to allow students based on their performance in entrance tests. So here’s all you need to know about MCA and choosing an MCA course after BCom.
What is MCA?
MCA after BCom is a Master’s degree in Computer Applications (post-graduation) that takes two years to complete. The MCA course duration after BCom of 2 years is split into four semesters, each semester spanning six months. Every semester, a student will be required to complete a variety of practical and theoretical laboratory sessions. Additionally, project work will play a significant role in the last semester.
Why Take an MCA Course?
MCA is a two-year postgraduate program developed for those who wish to thrive in technology. Can BCom graduates do MCA? Yes! In both the government and private sectors, the possibilities for those with a Master’s in Computer Applications are abundant.
- The MCA job market is thriving, with 2,050,000 new job openings annually and an annual growth rate of 7.7%.
- MCA after BCom has limitless employment prospects in a number of industries/sectors and job functions.
- Upon completing the MCA program, applicants would be quickly placed with a salary of at least INR 4 LPA.
- Candidates for the MCA course can indeed expect to get hired by the world’s top MNCs and IT businesses, such as Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc., where they can anticipate a starting salary of INR 13 LPA that will increase fast over time.
Who Should Enrol in MCA Courses?
- Candidates who wish to pursue a career with MCA after BCom as a software engineer should enrol in the Master of Computer Applications program. The majority of MCA students are engaged in software and application development.
- Candidates who wish to work in the IT sector should pursue the MCA program.
- Those who seek to improve their job chances and advance their careers can pursue a Master of Computer Applications through distance learning.
- Master of Computer Applications degrees are also pursued by candidates who desire to become UI Developers.
- Students who have finished the BCA program may pursue the MCA for greater employment opportunities.
- Likewise, students from other related fields who desire a career transition may enrol in the Master of Computer Applications program.
MCA Program: Eligibility
The MCA course eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- MCA course eligibility requires a bachelor’s degree in computer applications, computer science, or a related discipline with at least a 50% grade point average.
- Class 12 students must take mathematics as one of their required subjects.
- This is merely a summary of the eligibility requirements, which may vary amongst universities. The Bachelor of Computer Application minimum score at Delhi University is 60 per cent.
MCA Program: Admission Procedure
Admission to MCA programs is typically granted by university-level or national entrance tests, such as MAH CET, IPU CET, etc.
Let’s discuss admission via entrance examination:
- Applicants must sign up on the site of the college, university, or entrance examination board.
- The applicants must next enter their application information and submit their relevant documentation in the correct size and format.
- After submitting the online application, applicants must pay the filing fees and obtain a receipt.
- The applicants must then retrieve their admit card and present it for the entrance test.
- After completing the entrance exam, qualifying applicants are invited to a Master of Computer Application counselling session.
- Seat allocation in the many colleges linked with the university is guided by counselling. They are admitted following the allocation of seats during counselling.
MCA Course Specialisation
In the last year of the MCA program, students may choose from various MCA specialisations. Below are a few of the MCA specialisations offered by Indian universities:
- Systems Management
- Systems Development
- Software Development
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Systems Engineering
- Application Software
- Hardware Technology
Top 10 MCA Colleges in India
Below is a list of the best MCA colleges, including their admission requirements, course costs, and starting salaries. The colleges mentioned below are dispersed throughout India:
|College||Average Fees (INR)|
|Calcutta University, Kolkata||₹19,100|
|JNU, New Delhi||₹1,357|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal||₹1,89,000|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||₹26,000|
|University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||₹51,955|
|NIT Trichy, Tiruchirappalli||₹2,75,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi||₹8,500|
|Anna University, Chennai||₹41,000|
|Bharathiar University, Coimbatore||₹25,600|
Jobs After MCA
- In India, students who have completed an MCA program have a variety of career opportunities.
- Even as MCA is a final degree, most students prefer employment over further education.
- Nonetheless, students can take courses like an MBA for a career in management or a PhD for teaching and research positions.
- You can pass the UGC NET or GATE and obtain a position as a lecturer at numerous private and government colleges.
- Master of Computer Management (MCM) or Master of Information Management (MIM) degrees are a choice (MIM).
In the next few years, job prospects for MCA graduates are likely to expand due to the increasing expansion of the IT and software industry. Numerous Master of Computer Applications positions is available at leading IT and consulting businesses. The startup culture that has grown popular in India is a godsend for MCA graduates. In addition to top-tier IT companies, startups and even smaller organisations pay computer professionals handsomely.
If you are looking for the right college to pursue MCA, you can seek assistance from Sunstone. At Sunstone, you will have access to specialised certifications, industry-focused projects, and internships to help you achieve your dream career.
People Also Ask
- Can graduates pursue the MCA course after a BCom degree?
Master of Computer Applications admission requires Mathematics/Statistics as one of the mandatory subjects in 10+2. If you possess 10+2 Mathematics and are pursuing an MCA course after your BCom degree, then you are entitled to pursue further education if you hold 10+2 Mathematics.
- What is the Admission procedure for MCA after BCom?
Admissions to the MCA program is based on academic merit or an entrance exam. Minimum eligibility requirements for the MCA program are a BCA or in a related discipline, including mathematics as a required subject in Class 12.
- What is the Salary after MCA?
According to Payscale, the annual salary of an MCA student in India is approximately ₹7.96 lakh rupees. Applicants at the entry level often earn between ₹4 to ₹10 lakhs per annum. The salary can increase or decrease depending on the college, skills, and experience.